Saturday, October 18, 2014

Kicking My Own Ask.

Jeremy and I have been trying to add to our family for the last 6 months.  In my friend group, that either seems like a long amount of time or very short,  either way…it’s our story.  The facts are: I am 31, my energy for sleepless nights and exercising the baby weight off isn’t going up and ultimately; it took us a year of prayers, a hard core 6 week work out program, and some medicine to get Beck.  I also have PCOS and endometriosis and have only ovulated a confirmed one time in the last 6 months.  The odds seem like they are not forever in my favor.  If we don’t conceive this month (on our second month of metformin and clomid) I will be referred to a fertility specialist.  

I have come to the conclusion that it is time for me to "kick my own ask"…a reference made from a hilarious YouTube toddler talking about what she was going to do to monsters  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFN1-uqt2WA).  Meaning, I want to know that I did what I could to help the cause.  Jeremy and I have learned, through living real life with people, that life is confusing and hard but there is always this beautiful hope that runs parallel to the hard stuff.  If we have this yearning dream to grow our family; it’s because we should grow our family.  I’ve been doing a little research and because insulin is such a significant contributor to how I feel; I am going to try a rather extreme diet and soon, add exercise.

I’m writing about my journey so that I feel accountable and perhaps there’s someone out there that wants to/needs to join me.  In case you don’t know “Insulin is a hormone made by an organ in the body called the pancreas. The food you eat is broken down into simple sugar (glucose) during digestion. Glucose is absorbed into the blood after you eat. Insulin helps glucose enter the cells of the body to be used as energy. If there’s not enough insulin in the body, or if the body can’t use the insulin, sugar levels in the blood become higher.  A lifestyle that includes healthy nutrition and daily exercise is the most important part of a PCOS treatment plan.” There is more information on:  http://youngwomenshealth.org/2014/02/25/metformin/ if you’d like to read more.  I am also at a higher risk of diabetes because of PCOS and so, for my own health, even if I weren’t trying to get pregnant…this is a serious matter and I need to do something about it.  

Jeremy’s gym loves the Paleo Diet.  We did it, pretty intensively, for about 6 weeks a few years ago and felt awesome.  I had more energy, fewer dull headaches, my skin glowed, and I lost weight (which honestly pales in comparison to feeling better, for me).  My favorite thing about it was how I got to eat a lot and my least favorite thing about it is that it requires a lot of preparation/planning AND I don’t get to eat two of my favorites…chips and cheese.  

When I think back to high school; I can remember getting a headache when I would have a soda or too many carbohydrates and then would feel really tired soon after the dull headache wore off.  The amount of sugar women are supposed to consume, according to the American Heart Association is 24g/day.  An 8oz Sprite has 26g.  A large soda from McDonalds is 32oz and a lot of people get refills.   "A plain, average-size bagel (which contains approximately 7g of sugar) is the equivalent in calories and sugar of five slices of white bread and sends your system into a sugar overload - setting you up to crash afterwards and reach for another unhealthy option.” http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2542951/SUGAR-DETOX-Beware-bagel-not-mention-rice-dried-fruit-crayfish-salad-Theyre-ALL-secretly-sugar-laden-toxic-results-body.html  

The Paleo Diet is most popularly known as the “Caveman Diet” or the "Hunt and Gather".  It is not for anyone not into meat…so it’s ideal for a boy from a WY cattle ranch family.  Jeremy loves this diet.  It means I have prepared something for almost every meal, there’s lots of fresh food around and he gets to eat lots and lots of meat.  I recently watched “Forks Over Knives” 
http://www.forksoverknives.com/ based on a recommendation from my friend, Ashley and their research suggests having a primarily whole foods plant based diet.  I may have to try that at some point and see how it compares to how I feel on the Paleo Diet but I don’t think I could convince Jeremy to try anything that excludes meat. There was a quote on Forks Over Knives that hit me.  Bill Maher says: "Someone has to stand up and say that the answer isn't another pill. The answer is spinach.” The health of our culture is deteriorating and a lot of it has to do with what we are putting in our mouths.  

I am starting this lifestyle change because I have to.  I am 5’9” and should weigh anywhere from 130-160.  As an adult, I have been 135 and I have been 167.  I feel most comfortable at 145.  Weight has never been something I focus a lot of energy on. I had one season in college where I cared too much and it made me annoying to myself and probably others.   I have had a few cholesterol tests done in the last few years and test “borderline”.  They say I have a higher level of the “good cholesterol” but that we will have to monitor it.  Seriously?  Jeremy and I try to live pretty healthy lifestyles.  The hard truth is I might get diabetes someday, I might have a heart attack, I might get cancer, I might die in a car crash…I don’t know what’s coming, but I do know that I’m going to do what I can because these are the tools He’s given me and I think he would like for me to care about what I put in the vessel He gave me.  

I don't want to be annoying.  I don't want to be that person no one wants to be around because they feel judged.  I don't want to be prideful or self righteous.  I want to be healthy and for me, due to the fact that I have PCOS, endometriosis, and borderline cholesterol need to do something different.  So here I am, vulnerable and honest (the only way I have found contentment here).  I'll try and share recipes, failures, and victories with you.  Let me know if you join me because we all know there is power in numbers.  I really like Paleo Magazine.  Here's a link for you to enjoy: 
http://paleomagonline.com/ 
Breakfast
Ham & Veggie Quiche

*1/2 red onion, diced
*1/2 cup of diced ham
*1/4 cup diced tomatoes
*1 cup of spinach
*12 eggs
*1/4 cup of organic milk (you could do coconut or almond)
*sliced avocado
*salsa
*parsley, sea salt and pepper to taste

Chop the veggies and ham and mix in a bowl
Whisk the eggs and milk (you could do some of these as egg whites, if you wished)
Pour the egg mixture over the veggie/meat mixture and put in a 9X13, greased pan

Cook:  375 degrees for 45 minutes, check periodically

You can add any veggies or meat to this!  I made it the day before and then baked it the next morning.  I put sliced avocado and salsa on top of it after I baked it.  I would put mushrooms in it, or bacon, or sausage or broccoli...whatever sounds delicious to you!


1 comment:

  1. Well now I'm hungry!!! ..and also, feeling very ambitious to join you in this. I've been trying to work out on a regular basis and it isn't enough. But I think I'll still need cupcakes...they make me too happy :)! But I'm proud of you and happy to hear am update on your life! LOVE YOU!!!!!

    ReplyDelete