Tuesday, May 28, 2013

the precious things

I was eating a chocolate, caramel Dove yesterday (not a mistake) and its wisdom bestowed upon me the quote "You are allowed to do nothing". Simple, yes? Not so much. Our culture feeds us this lie that unless we have a checklist; unless we are busy; unless we are productive; unless we're running around like lunatics...our day wasn't worth anything. What's worse is that often times we feel worthless when we don't have a lineup of things to tell people when they ask us what we did or are going to do [today]. Guilty!

Which brings me to one main stream of thought: What does God think about our midwestern, hard working, passive aggressive, busy culture? Does he think we're extra awesome because we're accomplishing so much or does he think we're silly for making life harder than what he created it to be? Really, what does "productivity" mean? Is it meetings where everyone talks and no one listens and nothing changes? Is it working hard to make more money to have more things that, in turn, make you work harder to want more things that require more money (you get the idea)? The answer that's starting to unfold, for me, is this: If we're too busy to notice Him around us as we work...we're working in vain. Work isn't bad. Working hard isn't bad. Meetings aren't bad. But, we have to invite God to be a part of what our hands and minds are doing. My main job is to pour into, specifically, 11 college students every year and it is my joy! It's impossible to not see Christ working in and through their lives'. I feel it has ruined me for any other line of work but, I digress. Oh, how easily Satan manipulates good things and turns them into bad! This just steams me. For instance, you know you're being faithful to God's call in your life but realize you've been neglecting your friends, family, and church because you've been so busy working (me, during the school year especially). Or, your house is super clean but it stresses you out when people pop by and make a mess (Jeremy and I both struggle with this). Or, you choose to work out and stay late at work having conversations about working out instead of spending quality time with people you love (Jeremy, calling you out!) These things aren't bad!
Work? Good.
Cleanliness? Good.
Working out? Good.
But, how easy is it to be manipulated into thinking these things, these trivial things, are more important than the big picture of Grace and community? I'll get to the point: If we're too busy to relish in the blessings around us...what is the point? I mean really hunkering down and soaking up the goodness around us.

When Dove told me I was allowed to do nothing...I don't think they were sending me the message to sit around and watch TV all day. Let's get real...I'm Dutch: I'll get things done that need being done, but I feel motivated. Motivated to work less, travel more, let the apartment get messy when fun is being had, cook delicious food, get into the word, go on lots of walks, have sleepovers with B and friends, help Sissy plan her wedding, go to the zoo, read, and mostly...take things a little slower. I really believe our lives', our marriages, our relationships, our souls...are aching for this change of attitude.

If you run into me this summer and ask what I'm doing...I may just say, "I'm not sure yet, but it's going to be awesome because God is with me and I'm trying to focus a little more on the precious things!" I'll leave you with a quote from Russell in the movie Up, "That might sound boring, but I think the boring stuff is the stuff I remember the most."

*t

1 comment:

  1. Love this.... busyness is satan's main tool of destruction.... Too busy to hear God. Too busy to love others. Too busy to notice the gifts all around us. The devil's in all the details. Truly.... I am working to take this to heart. Huge challenge for one busy, can't get off the merry-go-round girl....
    Love you, Tara Lee!

    ReplyDelete