In this season of lent I've been asking myself what it really means to fast.
There have been times where I've fasted for a day and have been (in all honesty) thinking to myself, "I hope I'm losing a few pounds". Ridiculous. Instead of becoming more focused on myself-I decided to throw away the idea of fasting completely. Lazy. Since that didn't make sense either...I started cutting things out of my life that I feel are too much of a constant (i.e. caffeine, facebook, wine). This is really helpful in terms of living a healthier (in a few different realms) lifestyle, but the question still remains:
Does this action draw me closer to Jesus?
Someone brought up the idea of adding things to our routine as a form of fasting. For instance, if you spend one hour on facebook a day - cut out 40 minutes of that and spend time in the word instead. I like this idea, but in a culture where we are drawn to the "more more more's"...I still am drawn to the idea of denying myself comfort and/or routine. Isn't it absolutely insane that we have to "deny" ourselves to make time to get into the word?
I've been hungry for more Jesus lately. Hungry for him to reveal himself to me. What really breaks his heart? What is he most disappointed about in my life? What does being in relationship with people that I don't particularly like look like? How can I be a better friend/sister/daughter/boss/wife (in terms of challenging people I love to be more like Jesus)? How can I forgive people that have wronged me? I mean really forgive.
I'm hungry for the world's foggy lense to get out of the way and for me to truly get to know him on an intimate level. The great thing is...it's His desire too. I just have to get out of my own way.
What draws you closer to Jesus?
t*
All I can say is that God is loving your open and honest heart!!!! Wow...
ReplyDeleteThings that draw me to Him are music, good walks/talks outside....a bit of Christian fiction, classic Christian books. You have to find what works for you and not what everyone else has told you "quiet time" has to be.
XXOO
thank you tara. i miss having accountability and someone (or a LG) to ask me these questions on a regular basis.
ReplyDelete