We can not focus solely on advancing what's to come and still be significant. So Live.
Tuesday, October 8, 2013
the Maid of Honor speech
I'm not great at public speaking, but I really love to write...so forgive me for reading, but here it goes.
How do you do a lifetime of memories justice in just a few minutes? I could talk about our inside jokes or nights of asking Jeremy to sleep on the couch so we can still have sleepovers. I could talk about how God gave me the best present when he brought Crista Marie into this world. I could talk about how Crista lived her toddler years rocking a diaper, pigtails (one up high and one down low), a snack in hand, a giggle in her soul, and the love of Jesus close behind her...but I think the best way to summarize this life we've shared together is to compare us to a few of Crista's best childhood pals.
They live in the 100 Acre Wood and go by the names Piglet and Winnie the Pooh.
Pooh is described as: friendly, loyal, thoughtful, and sometimes insightful. He is always willing to help his friends and try his best.
Piglet is described as: small in size but has the biggest heart in the 100 Acre Wood. He is soft spoken, kind, gentle and ordinarily quite shy...but with Pooh by his side, he often overcomes his fears. Deep down, he is very brave and often faces danger to help his friends.
There are many A.A. Milne quotes that fit our relationship as sisters...but the most fitting is this: "Piglet cuddled up to Pooh. "Pooh?" he whispered. "Yes, Piglet." said Pooh. "Oh, nothing," said Piglet. "I just wanted to be sure of you". Crista and I seek each other mostly in times of question, great challenge, or great joy. We do just "want to be sure of each other" and that is one of the greatest gifts...to have always known, when life is confusing or awesome, that we have one another.
So, Steven...where do you fit into this story? I have bad news and good news. The bad news is...you can't be Pooh, because I am...but the good news is...there's another best friend and he goes by the name Christopher Robin. He is described as: pleasant, cheerful, and compassionate; despite being young, he is wise and mature. Pooh considers both Christopher Robin and Piglet to be his best friends.
I have found a major difference between our characters; however. Crista just "needs to be sure" of my presence in her world but she needs more from you. She walks around as if she's misplaced something when she's not with you (which I think we can all attest to the fact that she misplaces things). She seems a lot like Piglet when he says, "I was walking around looking for somebody, and then suddenly, I wasn't anymore".
I have a big challenge for you, Steven. When Crista was 5 years old...and I was 13...I walked into her room and found her kneeling beside her bed. She said, "Tara, could you please knock next time because I was talking to Jesus". I'm not kidding. She is the kind of child parents dream of. This world tells her she's too sensitive, too loving, too generous, too caring and my challenge to you is to help reverse how she feels about those parts of her. Help her to see that it's Jesus in her - to care so much and love so much and be sensitive to the world around her.
Thank you for being the man I joyfully welcome into Crista's story. You are steadfast and honest and hard working. I know you'll take good care of her and love her...
just promise to invite me along for some of your adventures.
love,
sister tara
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
tears. precious.
ReplyDeleteThat's really lovely. I'm sure there was no dry eye.
ReplyDelete