Saturday, February 5, 2011

"faith like a child"

faith like a child.
i've always thought of this as a simple concept, but i'm learning that it's a whole lot deeper.
today i ran 4 miles. i'm not fast. i'm not competitive. i don't care about my time or passing people. i just enjoy conquering things. i ran 10 min miles. this was an accomplishment for me, but the real lesson was learned afterward. some friends of mine and i were eating chicken noodle soup with the other runners.
they were talking about getting faster and going farther...i wasn't really listening, but i saw this darling little girl (probably about 6 or 7 years old) at the table next to us. i whispered, "i love your pretty hair bows...purple is my favorite color" and she whispered back, "i know they're cute, huh?!" I continued to try and bring my focus back to the conversation back at my table, when all of a sudden...the little peanut just came up from behind me and hugged me. she didn't say anything-just hugged me and went back to her table and told her grandma, "that's my friend right there". i instantly had tears in my eyes.
what a beautiful way to live life.
living in trust.
in passion.
in relationship with other people.
in unbridled enthusiasm and expression of how you are really feeling.
knowing that life is beautiful and full of hope & promise and good things.
i really appreciate the perspective that she gave me in that little moment in time.
i pray that i carry that moment with me and let it affect other ones for good.

this story out of the Bible is such a beautiful way that Jesus showed his compassion for childlike hearts.
i wish to keep mine always.

Mark 10:13-16:

13 People were bringing little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them, but the disciples rebuked them. 14 When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15 Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” 16 And he took the children in his arms, placed his hands on them and blessed them.

t*

3 comments:

  1. Very nice.... you are a thought ful woman. Besides that I made the chicken balsamic with tomatoes and onions for dinner this week from your last post and it was yummy!!!! You see- some people are reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara, you are one of the most beautiful women I know...inside and out. You have a kind and passionate heart, I miss seeing and talking with you...I am happy that you have your blog so I can drop in on you when I need a little Tara-pick-me-up!

    ReplyDelete