Sunday, November 14, 2010

lessons learned

I usually, OK I'll be honest, I usually ALWAYS have an opinion. I don't know if this is because I'm first born or entitled or moderately educated or overly confident about my opinions...maybe it's a mixture of all these things, but I really appreciate when God stops me in my tracks and forces me to marvel at something new. Travel often does this. It induces an intoxicating feeling deep within me. It's hard to describe. It gives me the gift of wonder, new confidence in myself as a women and traveler, a sense of peace about His creation, humbleness about my entitled attitude & culture, and thankfulness for life back home. Travel opens doors to meeting new, beautiful people from all different backgrounds and cultures. I stand in awe of God's creativity.

Lesson Learned: He would not have had to make this world of ours so diverse or colorful or so immaculately intricate, but He did. It shows His deep love and care over each of us. It almost brings me to tears when I'm brought back to a childlike sense of wonder.

Lesson Learned: Meeting people with completely different lifestyles, that I can't relate to, can be a good thing. It is, and has never been, our soul purpose to live our lives without some challenge or conflict. I'm learning how to have educated discussions; while holding very different world views. I believe, to my core, that I am called to show people what true joy and love look like and how that knowledge should influence my earthly relationships. It often doesn't. I wish to know where this gets lost in translation. How can we claim to know just how far His love extends? Just like we can't fathom forever or heaven...we can not fathom how great His love is.

Lesson Learned: Learning to not fear differences, while standing up for what you believe, is hard to do. I'm thankful to not be in charge. I'm content knowing He is in control. I'm glad I don't decide who I'll see in heaven. In learning what this really means, I vow to work on exuding that presence among believers and non believers. We are all stuck in this worlds confusing grasp. We are (all of us) insufficient and sufficient for grace. Praise God! This doesn't mean that I get along with everyone (or that I'm called to get along with everyone). It simply means that we are all loved, valued, and precious. It means that I aspire to make strangers, loved ones, and friends see that I've got the joy of the Lord and am willing to share it with everyone.

1 comment:

  1. This is really well written and thoughtful... thanks for sharing! i just read it now in December....
    Love,
    Momma K

    ReplyDelete