I reflect a lot about who has helped me get to the place I am, because I want to be grateful. You and I have been friends since I organized your kitchen (when you were moving into the apartment I currently live in) and that was in 2005. I want you to know you have given me a significant amount of loveliness. You are the kind of person that good follows because your genuine heart and joy are tangible. Everyone thinks you are their best friend. Everyone feels how much you want beautiful things for their lives'. Everyone feels like they can be genuinely themselves in your presence, but the very best thing your friendship has given me is this:
Comfort in who I am in Christ.
I grew up thinking God was always focusing on the bad parts of me. I mostly blame a few of the churches I grew up in and the Heidelberg Catechism (not that those things are innately bad, but how I implemented them into my thought life was). People like you have taught me that God is not petty. He knows our sin and wants us to choose better things, but mainly dwells on the delicious parts of who we are like:
When we choose honesty, love, humor, beauty, community, moderation and mostly, when we take time to reflect on the fact that He is the one that gives us everything with even an ounce of good in it.
I'm grateful we are headed in the same direction - no matter where that puts us on a map. When you moved, you wrote me a letter with a quote by Maya Angelou about joy and it's one of the reasons I wanted to get matching tattoos* with you that simply say "joy".
Karen, you are never alone. Because the pieces of joy you've left all over this life love you and are with you wherever you go.
Thank you for celebrating my 30th birthday with me. I hope you feel my love and the good I wish you for you too. Cheers to our many adventures to come.
*t
*I know tattoos are socially scandalous and have a negative reputation in most conservative circles. Tattoos - just like most things with a reputation - can either be good or bad and I choose the good. For me, it simply means there are significant things God has taught me along the way. I don't foresee myself getting a lot of tattoos, but I love the two I have. One of which is a locket that Jeremy has the complimenting key. This signifies my gratitude for the overflowing amount of love that's been placed in my life. My new one signifies friendship, community, and the Maya Angelou quote Karen wishes for my life, "I wish you joy and when you wish someone joy you wish them peace, love, prosperity...all the good things". Love & Joy: You can't go wrong with either of those things. I have lots of thoughts on tattoos, but we can talk about them in person if you wish to hear more.
Is yours the wrist or foot??
ReplyDelete