
The beagle and I were on a walk yesterday and I thought about a recent sermon that I heard on podcast. It was your typical "Run to Jesus" motivational speech about how we've distracted ourselves with so many things that aren't from the Lord. There were a few thought provoking statements like, "In other countries...people are dying for their faith in Jesus and in America...we are simply being wined and dined (by Satan) away from Jesus" and then there were things I've heard over and over like, "If video games or TV or sports are distracting you from Jesus...cut them completely out of your life and you'll never look back". I agree, but it seems so unrealistic to cut out everything that distracts...so I get overwhelmed and do nothing.
Then I looked down at my beagle. He's the perfect example of distraction. He's simply distracted by everything. His nose has gotten him in a lot of trouble. He's dug into a rattle snake hole and gotten bit, he's unwrapped Christmas presents that weren't his, he's chewed up multiple retainers, he's ran away countless times looking for adventure (aka rabbits, squirrels, or children). Another weird quirk of his is that he doesn't like big bones. They have to be the perfect size and shape and flavor for him to even think twice about them. If it's perfect...he'll chew it up in one night, but if it's too big - he gets overwhelmed and it sits in his toy basket until we give it to his best friend who loves big bones (a much smaller wiener dog, named Oliver). Gus could chew it up. He doesn't realize that it's the same thing as the smaller bones he likes, just bigger. He just knows that he can't wrap his little paws around it to get the perfect chew angle...so he wants nothing to do with it.
Whenever I get really mad at him...I think to myself, "He's a beagle...he was bred to hunt and he really can't help himself". He's gotten better. He has naughty moments, but he's really lovable and I couldn't be more obsessed with him.
I think that's maybe how God feels about us. Sometimes He gives us gifts or talents that are so beautiful and big that we can't fathom them - so we say things like, "No thank you, I'll just continue to sniff this garbage while that delicious, humongous bone just sits in the corner". It's got to be frustrating to Him, but He also knows that we are human. He knows we choose sin. He knows we sometimes just can't help ourselves, but if we continue to fight that sin...and continue to "get a little better" - I know that He couldn't be more obsessed with us.
Merry *almost* Christmas. Keep growing into living who you were created to be, but better.
love,
*t
thanks for sharing your thoughts, tara. :) merry "almost" christmas to you, jeremy, and baby w!
ReplyDeleteI like Gussie's approach!!!!
ReplyDelete